Trippy Travel Photo #17: Pumapungo Ruins—Cuenca, Ecuador

Trippy Travel Photo 17

In the 17th round of the  Trippy Travel Photo Game, the winner identified the photo of the Pumapungo Ruins in Cuenca, Ecuador. He followed these steps to arrive at the answer…

1. Look at the Photo/Study the Details

2. Guess What/Where/Why!

What is the subject of this photo?

Where was I traveling when I saw it?

(If you have no idea, it’s OK to make up silly answers. That’s fun, too!)

3. Check Back Later!

–Post your guesses here in the Comments Section (tweets and FB comments don’t count–sorry)

–Keep checking and guessing as the guessing gets good…

–See who won…maybe it will be you!

And the Winner Is….

Neal Panton, an awesome photographer (check out his work here) who once worked as a tour guide in Ecuador, guessed this rather quickly.

The Answer: Pumapungo Ruins (Cuenca, Ecuador)

Pumapungo (Door of the Puma), is an archeological park and UNESCO site located behind the Museo del Banco Central in Cuenca. Its ruins—pre-Columbian foundations—are scattered about the lovely green space. It is said to have once been an Incan palace or administrative center.

Can’t Get Enough?

Like this game? Enjoy learning about new places? Here are all of the Trippy Travel Photos–guesses and winners–all on one page.

Want to Visit?

Here’s the address and the hours (confirm before going, of course.)

Address: Larga at Av. Huayna-Capac, Cuenca, 010150
Phone: 07/283–1255
Cost: $3

Direct link to the site here. (Spanish only)
Hours: Weekdays 8 am to 6 pm and on Saturdays, from 8 am to 1 pm

18 Responses to Trippy Travel Photo #17: Pumapungo Ruins—Cuenca, Ecuador
  1. Nate Yomadic
    March 2, 2012 | 10:09 am

Very tough! Looks like the walls of some ruins? Guatemala?
    Nate Yomadic recently posted..Abandoned Buildings – Photography and Exploration GuideMy Profile

2. wanderingminds
    March 3, 2012 | 5:31 pm

Ah we have something similar to this in my home town of Keynsham (SW England) and they are the foundations of the original church. But I know this isn’t Keynsham because:
    a) No one is stupid enough to visit Keynsham on their travels unless they get really lost. Are you lost?
    b) I can see iron railings in the picture and if this were my home town, someone would have stolen them and sold them on for scrap metal.
    c) Someone else would have probably stolen the stones and used them to make a nice rockery in their back garden – probably my mum!
    wanderingminds recently posted..Don’t forget ….My Profile

March 3, 2012 | 9:02 pm

I love your guess…was hoping someone would name a place like England. I can totally see why you would, too. And I think you reasons why it’s not that are great!

And you’re right–it’s not SW England.

Thanks for playing….tune in soon for the actual place and the winner! :)

3. Neal
    March 3, 2012 | 8:32 pm

This is the fenced in area of a ruin. The remnants of the wall look about 1 metre or 3 feet thick. The Incas made their walls 3 feet thick. However the stone work is not 1st class Inca but rather 3rd class which makes it a fortress most probably on the outer rim of the Incan empire. I am guessing Ecuador, near Cuenca. This is at the ruins of Ingapirca! OK what do I win?

March 3, 2012 | 9:04 pm

Wow…I must say, you have quite an eye for this–or perhaps an awesome memory, too! :) Right now, you are hot–super hot. Yes, to Ecuador and no to “near Cuenca.” How about right in Cuenca? To win, you’ll have to be more specific, though. Can you pull this off? LOL

What do you win? A smile face from me–and a link to your site! :)

• Neal
        March 4, 2012 | 8:03 pm

I’ve GOT IT!! Pumapungo Ruins! At the time I lived in Ecuador these ruins were not well established mainly because there was a paved road on top of part of them.

March 4, 2012 | 11:08 pm

You are the WINNER, Neal. Congrats! Let me know how I should mention you and what page I should link to–and I’ll post it. Thanks so much for playing–and happy that you nailed it! :)

4. Robert Watson
    March 4, 2012 | 12:29 am

Those rocks don’t look original to me. This looks like modern stones which have been placed to outline the foundations of an ancient structure. The grass is well-kept, and there aren’t areas where the grass has been trampled by tourists. So, if it is a tourist site, then the tourists are well-behaved. The color in the photo looks old, so I guess it was from the time when you lived in Ecuador.

Can I buy a vowel? 😉

March 4, 2012 | 1:32 am

Robert–Interesting to see your thoughts. Actually, the rocks are original and quite old. The area was fenced off, which would explain why there’s no trampling. Re: the color…I will admit (this is the first time I’ve ever done this in the Trippy Travel Game, btw) that I used a “dramatic effect” filter, which increases contrast and saturation just a bit. Also, I shot the photo last summer.

Good guessing and fun to watch your thought process!

You can buy two vowels…LOL. No prob…just send the money to my PayPal account! :)

5. Sushi Vegas
    March 4, 2012 | 3:55 am

Haha !! You seriously have the power to make people think !! Love this ability 😀

6. A Crafty Traveler
    March 4, 2012 | 6:17 am

I have absolutely no idea but this is a great game! :)
    A Crafty Traveler recently posted..Photo Friday #12 – WildMy Profile

March 4, 2012 | 8:32 am

Hi, Crafty Traveler. Welcome to the bus! Glad you like the game. I enjoy it on my end, too. I’ll admit–this is a sort of tricky one, especially if you haven’t been to that particular country.

PS: Answer/winner will be announced soon!

7. Cley
    March 4, 2012 | 11:05 pm

Shocks! I can’t really guess what place is this.. But all I can say is that it’s a steel fence. 😀 Thanks for sharing this! :)

8. Claudia Looi
    March 6, 2012 | 10:25 am

Fun post. Going there next year and this is really useful info for us. Thanks.

March 6, 2012 | 10:29 am

Hi, Claudia. Great that you’re going to Cuenca–it’s a wonderful place to visit! Glad you liked the post–thanks! I may have some more soon re: Cuenca, by the way.

9. Nate Yomadic
    March 6, 2012 | 11:11 am

I really love this game! Learning as well, via the comments page!
    Nate Yomadic recently posted..Hong Kong Peak – Victoria Secrets – Rated PG (Peak Goodness)My Profile

March 6, 2012 | 11:16 am

Thanks, Nate. Glad to hear it! PS: I may open it up to guest posters soon–and vary it every once in a while. I would say, up front, that it’s not me and only reveal the traveler’s name, etc. at the end of the game. It might be fun because I could bring in some locations I have yet to visit. The key, of course, would be keeping the images….trippy (ie, abstract, resembling something else or hard to figure out in general)…and not having posted them anywhere previously (people get smart after a while and figure things out–LOL).

If you’d like to try this–to be the first guest trippy travel photo poster–please send me a DM over on Twitter. Thanks!