5 Reasons Why I’m Dumping My iPad2 (& Why I Cheated with the MB Air 11″)

iPad2 and MB Air 11"

Dear Beloved iPad2,

So sorry to have to do this, but I’m…dumping you. Yes, I once loved you, but you’ve disappointed me too many times and it’s just not working out. Especially for certain projects and for travel.

It’s over.

iPad2開封
Before I tell you the reasons, I want to say that it’s me and not you. Well, actually, it is you.

And I have a confession to make—one that fills me with tremendous guilt. But I’m saving that for later–for that silly moment when  I say all the nice things I liked about you so that neither of us feels crappy about going our separate ways.

5 Reasons Why I’m Dumping You, iPad2

1. You didn’t play nice with MS Word docs

As much as I don’t like MS Word, I do need it for my teaching job and for other purposes. Like many people, I opted to buy and use Pages. And often, it went well.  But not always. A number of times, odd stuff happened when I reopened docs in Word.

Once, I had a couple hundred quote marks reverse themselves and screw up an important document.  This was a serious red flag for me. It told me I just couldn’t count on you (or your app).

2. Your WordPress.org blogging interface was a turnoff

I also tried to blog through you and it was OK, but not great. Not your fault? I know–blame it on the app. Still, I didn’t like the way the photos got sent to my site and editing a post was tricky at times–just not fun.

Also, the interface in general got on my nerves. It just wasn’t sexy and yeah, it turned me off.

3. Size was an issue

Skyping was awkward/uncomfortable
I know that size shouldn’t matter, but sometimes it does. Because of your size, I found that holding you for Skyping was annoying. Awkward and uncomfortable. My hand and arm ended up hurting after speaking to my friends on you.

I found myself turning to iPhone 4S, which is so much smaller and lighter, for my video chats–and other tasks.

Multi-tasking with @nick_parnell

I didn’t feel like taking you out…for errand running
You were just big/heavy enough where I didn’t feel like “throwing you in my purse” for running quick errands. Also, even with the right case, I didn’t feel like holding you. And when I realized this was something we couldn’t share, the romance faded even more.

Would you consider losing some weight and shrinking in overall size, too? Here’s a suggestion (which I hope won’t piss you off).  Could you try be a little more like the Samsung Galaxy Tab? (He’s just right, I think.)

If so, I’d consider getting back together… You’d be so sexy, I wouldn’t be able to resist you. 😉

4.Reading with you was OK, but not ideal

The day I met Kindle Touch, I knew you and I were in trouble.

What? You’re  jealous of his sexy name. Please don’t be. He’s not that great looking–trust me. And I didn’t cheat on you with him. We’re just friends and I only read with him. Nothing else, I swear. Also, he’s wifi only.

But I must bring up size once again. He’s just right. And he doesn’t have that annoying glare that you do.

5. Overall, my needs changed and you stopped meeting them

When I first got you, I was interested in consumption and only in producing in a limited way. I surfed the Internet with you, took notes, worked in Pages, read, etc. And it was nice. Just fine for a while.

I even got a Zaggmate keyboard to help my type faster on you. I suppose one might accuse me of trying to change you by doing that, but you seemed OK with it. Your Bluetooth paired up quite nicely with it, in fact.

And last summer–when I went to Ecuador and Panama–you served my purposes rather well. We got along great.

Now, things are different.
I need to be really productive in general–and especially while I’m in Indonesia this summer. I will need to run special software for e-book formatting and you won’t do that.

Yes, I know—I can use Pages and some other apps that can allow me to make an e-book, but that’s just for you. For Apple products, that is. I’m creating something for Kindle. So, sadly, it won’t work. I need real software–not just an app.

Confession Time

So, iPad2, it’s time for me to come clean. To fess up re: one of the main reasons I’m ending our relationship. Let me preface this by saying…

a) I’m neither a commitment phobe nor a serial cheater. Well, OK—maybe I have strayed on occasion when it comes to technology. But if you’d been right for me, I would have stuck with you and been loyal.

b) I’m still in love with your long-lasting battery. You always had time and energy for me, and that meant something. I also liked dressing you up, strange as that might sound. There were so many options for bags, cases and sleeves. It was wonderful. Almost like having a baby–minus the crying and the diapers.

c) I’m going to miss playing with your photo apps. It was extremely creative and a lot of fun to strip color from photos and paint it back in and to do other things like that. Sigh. :(

But…despite these turn-ons…the turn-offs piled up AND something happened that made me see you differently.

After seeing all those red flags and connecting with iPhone 4s and the Kindle Touch…

I met someone else–another device, that is.

So, I truly apologize for this (feel free to express your anger by freezing me out; I know you want to)—I became attracted to him. And yes, I suppose that on some level (based on the way your IOS mind works), I cheated on you.

Not only did I lust after the other man—I mean, device—I went ahead, bought him and hooked up with him. Oops..I mean, I hooked him up. Just recently, in fact. Before we broke up—that is, before I had a chance to tell you all of this and to sell you to someone else.

Who is he?

Well, I’m sort of embarrassed and feel guilty. See, you actually know him. You might even be friends. I’ve seen you hanging out at the same bar—I mean, store. The Apple Store.

I cheated with…the MacBook Air 11”

I know, I know…it hurts, right? No one likes to be dumped. Especially in public, on a blog. I’m so, so sorry. And please don’t take it personally. As I’ve said before, it’s not you, it’s me. Well, maybe it was both of us.

11.6" MacBook Air

So darn cute, isn’t he?

MacBook Air 11″ Meets My Needs Better

The truth is that he—-MacBook Air 11 (4 gigs of RAM plus 128 g of space)–just sort of knows what to do. I don’t have to work around things.

Also, he does have a bigger and better processor. And you know what that means…

I can run software on him. And I need that, as you know. I have things to do and no time to waste. With you, it was all about fun.

But now, I need to produce.

No, I don’t want a child. Stop projecting that onto me, silly iPad2! And please don’t finish my sentences for me either or auto-correct, OK? I want to produce a digital book. And I don’t want to do it in Pages. I need to use real software.

Macbook Air 11″ is not perfect, you say? I know. He’s not. His battery is a bit lame. And he’s a little heavier than you. It’s true. Still, I like to turn him on and he turns me on and for now, we’re good together. Simple as that.

Sorry.

Could we possibly be friends? Maybe.  I’ll play with you when I visit the Apple store. Consider it a booty call of sorts. I’ll even tell people how cool you were while we were together–how awesome your 32 gigs were and how long your battery lasted. And how hot you looked in your green smart cover.

And someday, if you lose some weight and are small enough to fit into my purse, I’ll take another look at you.

No, I’m not asking you to wait for me–to be canned corn sitting on a shelf. I’m just saying that if you change for the better and my needs do, too, you never know…

For now, though, I’m sorry, iPad2. I truly am. Best of luck with your next owner! I promise I’ll do my best to fix you up with someone whom you’re right for—and vice versa.

Love,

Lisa

MacBook Air 11" vs. iPad - DROOL

How About You?

Are you an iPad user? If so, how have you made it work for you?

Or are you like me–you started out with the Pad, then switched to the Air? OR have you always preferred the Air?

OR maybe you use some other tablet. Whatever the case, I’d love to hear from you–especially if you liked one sort of device initially and then changed your mind about it and felt the urge to ‘break up with it.’ :)

Photo Credits
Special thanks to those photographers whose photos I borrowed for this post via Creative Commons. To visit their pages and see who they are, click on each photo to be taken to their page.

47 Responses to 5 Reasons Why I’m Dumping My iPad2 (& Why I Cheated with the MB Air 11″)
  1. Annette | Bucket List Journey
    May 13, 2012 | 10:26 am

I am not breaking up with my IPad just yet, but he is just my booty call. I use him only when in need and have another man as my main squeeze 😉
    I’m fearful to bring the MacBook Air into the picture, though tempting, because it may cause a wicked love triangle.
    Annette | Bucket List Journey recently posted..Eating Picturesque Bone Marrow at St. JOHN RestaurantMy Profile

May 13, 2012 | 10:44 am

Hi, Annette. That’s hilarious! I wish I could keep my Pad as a booty call. The problem is that I’d love to sell him to get some of the money back since the MB Air 11″ is not cheap.

As for a love triangle…I totally get it. This very easily could have turned into that. And if I don’t sell the pad, it will be just that! :)

2. Nora - The Professional Hobo
    May 13, 2012 | 10:53 am

Ha ha – great post!
    I have a Macbook Air 11″ myself, and I love it. And it looks like your needs as described above are much better suited to having a fully functional laptop – with the added benefits of a solid state drive (it takes some travel whacks better than other laptops) and small size.

And if you have a Kindle and iPhone4S as well, then really – no need for the iPad. I’d say it’s redundant.
    Nora – The Professional Hobo recently posted..Financial Travel Tip #28: Managing Your Travel Savings AccountMy Profile

May 13, 2012 | 10:58 am

Hi, Nora. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts. As it is with regular relationships and breakups, it’s always nice to have another woman listen and understand…definitely eases the pain! So cool that you’re involved with a MB Air 11″ yourself (they’re hot, aren’t they?)…and yeah, that solid state is mighty sweet. And so true re: the redundancy.

Thanks!

3. Sue.L.
    May 13, 2012 | 11:29 am

A great post, Lisa, very funny!!!!! Definitely sounds like iPad doesn’t meet your needs at this time. Enjoy the relationship with the MacBook Air 11, lol!!!!

May 13, 2012 | 10:33 pm

Thank you very much, Sue. Yeah, the Pad really let me know. What a shame. But I’m loving the MB Air 11″ now… Of course, we’re still in the honeymoon phase….he, he, he…

4. Kevin
    May 13, 2012 | 12:08 pm

I also have an iPad3 (was iPad2 until last week) and a MBA 11″. To me both serve different purposes. Agree on handling documents, but nothing beats reading the WSJ on the iPad – the interface is fantastic and better than paper let alone online. That alone almost makes it worth it. The cell connectivity of the iPad is also a plus for when I’m out and about and don’t want to search for wifi. I’ve questioned the need for both but for now I’m ok. If Apple turned the MBA into a reversible tablet with the features of both, I’d be all over it.

May 13, 2012 | 10:32 pm

Hi, Kevin. Thanks for writing. So you’ve got both? Believe me–I do understand on some level. I’ve been very tempted to keep the iPad2. If I didn’t need the money to cover the MB Air, I might. I truly love some of the photo apps and found that I became more creative than ever as a result of using them.

As for a reversible tablet…I was just thinking of this today. Now THAT would be the most amazing thing of all. If Apple comes out with one, I’ll marry the damn computer!!! :)

5. Tracey - Life Changing Year
    May 13, 2012 | 12:19 pm

Bahaha!! Poor iPad!! I would never part with mine!! I’ve informed my children that in case of robbery at knifepoint they will be offered well before the Ipy (as our family calls any Apple device!!). Earth mother I know!! In fact I’m writing this comment on my iPa from my tent where we are camping in San Francisco! The laptop is firmly in its bag and would be too much hard work right now. I like the love-triangle that ensues when you have all the toys vying for your attention!! Great post!!
    Tracey – Life Changing Year recently posted..Camping Will Save You Lots Of Money, But Is It Worth It?My Profile

May 13, 2012 | 10:30 pm

Hi, Tracey. Sounds like you’re really in love with yours–nice! That is hilarious about the kids!! Thanks so much for your comment–glad you enjoyed the post! :)

6. Kevin aka EyeTravelSolo
    May 13, 2012 | 10:50 pm

LOL, ’nuff said Lisa. You know what my Operating System prefs. are. :)
    Kevin aka EyeTravelSolo recently posted..The Buddhist Wesak FestivalMy Profile

May 13, 2012 | 11:12 pm

LOL back–Droid? Android? AOS?

7. Paige AllOvertheMap
    May 14, 2012 | 9:27 am

This is hilarious but oh so true! I’ve been thinking about this very issue. Mine’s a first generation iPad, which I do use every single day for something, but it’s not for everything. You nailed it when you said it’s great for consumption, but on the production side… not so much. And when we are trying to pack our lives into one little suitcase for a year of travel, um, this becomes a big deal. So tell me more about this MacBook Air guy… he sounds interesting….
    Paige AllOvertheMap recently posted..Top 2 Things to do in Atlanta with kids, plus a few moreMy Profile

May 14, 2012 | 10:26 am

Hi, Paige. You’ve got the original iPad? Hmmm. Want to buy my iPad2? LOL

I think that if you’re going to be traveling for 1 year–and blogging on a serious level–you might want to check out MBA 11. Not only is he hot, but he can get the job done! :) Want me to fix you up? No finder’s fee–I promise. I wish Apple would give me a free product or two–now that would be the best!

8. Gina Birch
    May 14, 2012 | 12:43 pm

How funny, both devices have been pursuing me lately. Was having trouble deciding which way to go, but this may have swayed my opinion and made me ready to commit. Thanks for the fun read!

May 14, 2012 | 2:02 pm

Hi, Gina. So both of these guys–I mean, devices–have been flirting with you (and vice versa), huh? It IS a tough decision–that’s for sure. What did you decide? Are you going to commit to the MB Air 11″? :)

9. AvaApollo
    May 14, 2012 | 8:23 pm

I was JUST trying to decide between an iPad and Macbook Air. I figured it might be a literal pain in the neck to hunch over and type on an iPad screen though, and thought of how annoying it is when the apps on the iPhone don’t work properly. Sometimes you just need a real computer!

I love your cheeky writing style.
    AvaApollo recently posted..Making Peace with Newport BeachMy Profile

May 15, 2012 | 8:37 am

Hi, Ava. That is wild that you were just trying to make that decision! I have found myself hunching over the iPad and getting into some odd positions to hold it for Skyping. I know there are covers that have handles, which would make it easier, but I never got one. True re: needing a real computer. That’s what led me to cheat with the MB Air 11″. I still feel slightly guilty about that (my wallet, especially), but it will fade, I’m sure, when I find a new owner for the Pad! :)

Thanks for saying my writing style is cheeky. It’s the first time anyone’s said it and I like it! :)

10. Jarmo
    May 15, 2012 | 5:13 pm

I have been on many occasion been tempted by the iPad, with with its sleek looks and going attitude, but I’ve always stopped just before the commitment. The thing is, just like you say, for something a bit more serious (like blogging) it just doesn’t work, it’s lacking something. It’s fling, that’s what it is 😉 albeit a very attracting fling!
    Jarmo recently posted..The Hanoi Bia Hoi CornerMy Profile

May 15, 2012 | 6:56 pm

Hi, Jarmo. I wonder if that makes you a commitment phobe–LOL–or a smart consumer. I think the Pad is fantastic for certain people–especially those who commute or have a small business. It’s great for reading, viewing docs and awesome for keeping records and making presentations, etc. But for blogging, it’s a bit tricky.

It is very attractive, of course. :)

11. Belize
    May 17, 2012 | 11:46 pm

I am a first-time Apple product user. Started off with the iPad 3 and like it. The display is better than anything I have ever used.

Cannot replace my Windows 7 desktops and laptops but for consuming media and doing limited tasks such as answering email, short blog posts – it is very handy. Exceptional for reading and doing research.

The iPad 3 is going strong in Belize – wrote a little piece on my first impressions:

May 19, 2012 | 7:42 pm

Hi. Thanks for sharing your thoughts re: the iPad3. True that these tablets can’t replace a regular computer, but they are nice for basic consumption and use.

12. Jeremy Branham
    May 18, 2012 | 1:25 am

Well Apple still owns both so while you traded your iPad2 for a Macbook Air, your pimp still got his money! :)

I don’t use either but I have a netbook. I love the light feel and small size and it travels well.
    Jeremy Branham recently posted..8 things to do in Kauai when you’re not lying on the beachMy Profile

May 19, 2012 | 6:05 pm

Hi, Jeremy. True–they’ve got my money! But I’m happy. When I had a netbook, I liked, but didn’t love, it. I couldn’t deal with the way it handled photos–just wasn’t intuitive–and they ended up in odd folders I never set up with dates well into the future. Also, docs were in odd places. I guess I’m an Apple girl at heart…

• Jeremy Branham
        May 23, 2012 | 12:53 am

Well you can set up your folders for where you want all your documents to go. And I have Microsoft Office Pro version on mine so I can edit photos as well. It’s a small screen and that’s the biggest hassle but it is great for carrying around.

I know each person has their own preferences so I won’t argue with anyone regarding their choices. As long as what you have works for you, pay your pimp and enjoy it! :)
        Jeremy Branham recently posted..Horsetail Falls – a lesson in photographyMy Profile

May 23, 2012 | 8:57 am

I do recall the folder thing on the netbook–and I liked how small it was–but still–too many hassles for my taste. Anyway, yes, I’m enjoying the MB Air, and in the end, that’s what matters!

13. Naomi
    May 19, 2012 | 7:43 pm

this post feels a little deja vue. I could never work out what the iPad had to offer me as I always wanted lots of Gigs of storage and ability to run Lightroom for my photos, so a proper computer was needed. Plus the ability to add on external hard drives. I went for the MBA 13″ with 256Gb though. Had a Kindle for a while so again couldn’t see the point of the iPad. Have just got myself the iPhone 4S so I now feel I’ve completed the picture for me tech wise. Love the camera on the 4S!
    Naomi recently posted..A Trip down Memory LaneMy Profile

May 19, 2012 | 7:48 pm

Hi, Naomi! Interesting, I think, how the order in which people purchase some of these products can affect the decision-making process. I got the iPad 2 before I got the iPhone 4S. At the time, I only had a ‘dumb phone’ and had no clue. So, I got the Pad, then the phone and then, I happened to get the Kindle (for a few reasons, mostly to see what it was like since I’ll be selling my book digitally on Amazon). Once I had both of them, the Pad no longer made sense.

I wonder what would have happened if I’d had the phone first, then the Kindle. Perhaps I would not have gotten the Pad at all?

In your case, you’d had the Kindle for a while…..

PS: I love the camera on the 4S, too! I use it all the time!

• Naomi
        May 19, 2012 | 8:35 pm

I love the Kindle, mainly because all it does is be a book. It doesn’t look flashy and I feel comfy about using it anywhere, and it replaces me carrying books!
        Naomi recently posted..A Trip down Memory LaneMy Profile

May 22, 2012 | 10:10 pm

Hey, Naomi. You just summed up what I like about the Kindle. It’s really nice to be able to just read–and not be distracted–and not to worry that someone will want to steal it. So light, too!

14. Ellen
    May 20, 2012 | 5:06 am

I love this! I have all the same complaints about the ipad, plus one more: the thing drops the wifi signal on a regular basis. I’ll have to check out the mb air.
    Ellen recently posted..Guest Post by Jack Scott: We are all ImmigrantsMy Profile

May 22, 2012 | 10:07 pm

Hey…Ellen. You, too, huh? Ready to break up? LOL Wifi dropping out? Hmmm. Maybe you guys need to separate or consult lawyers? I think you’re headed for an early divorce! :)

And yeah, you should check out MB Air…he’s hot!

15. Helene
    May 22, 2012 | 9:17 pm

I’m so glad you posted those comments, I’m in the process of thinking about what to get for my future travels that I can have a good relationship with, it looks like the ipad won’t be it. I’ll find a better partner to travel with. Thanks so much for the heads up.

May 22, 2012 | 9:53 pm

Hi, Helene. I’m really glad to hear that this post was helpful to you. You’re welcome!

You want to be with the right person–I mean, device–for you future trips! :) It’s not fun to have to break up, as I did–well, I mean, to buy a new device before selling the old one. He, he, he…

16. Jeff B
    May 22, 2012 | 11:32 pm

I recently got an iPad so I am not ready to breakup with it yet. It does have limitations in what you can do with it. It is great for things such as photo editing, email and web surfing. It is not so great for creating documents and updating WordPress websites. Hopefully they will improve the WP app soon.

I recently took it on a 10 day trip instead of a computer. I also brought an iPhone but did not have phone service outside the county. I really could have done everything with just the phone because if was easy to carry around with me. The iPad stayed in my hotel during the day.
    Jeff B recently posted..Sundays in Retiro Park – MadridMy Profile

May 23, 2012 | 9:08 am

Hi, Jeff and thanks for joining the chat! Glad your relationship with the Pad is going well and that a breakup is not on the table! I agree re: what it’s good for. I especially love the photo editing–definitely. That’s what’s tempted me to keep it around, in fact. I also hope they improve the WP app; I think that for some, it could make all the difference.

Re: the iPhone…I totally hear you. I got my phone after I bought the Pad and once I used it for a few days, I really started to question whether I needed the Pad or not. The phone is awesome!

17. Chris Howard
    May 23, 2012 | 12:51 am

G’day Chicky!

Great piece. I have both an iPad and an MBA 11″ (and a 4S and a iMac 27″ with two extra screens).

And yet, with all this tech, the MBA I rate as the best computer I’ve ever owned. Interestingly, I barely use it each week, but use the others daily.

But every time I pick up the MBA, it gives me a thrill. When I do use it I swoon. It’s fast, sexy as heck, light and fully-functional. And perfect for travelling.

If you made me get rid of every computing device bar one, i wouldn’t even bat an eyelid. You can take my iMac, take my iPad, take my iPhone. The MBA would win hands down.
    Chris Howard recently posted..SliderPlus – coming soon!My Profile

May 23, 2012 | 9:05 am

Well–hello, Chris! G’day! :)

Glad you enjoyed this post…it was fun to write! I’m so glad to hear that you have so many Apple products. There are many of us out there, I think. (I’ve got the Pad, which I want to sell, the Air, a MB Pro 13″, iPhone 4S and Apple TV…and I have an HDMI? cable to run the computers on my TV if I want.)

And I feel the same way, btw, that the MB Air is the best computer I’ve ever owned. Your description of it is perfect. I’m typing this reply on it right now and think I’m swooning, too! He, he, he…

PS: I’m going to be Indonesia in about a week. That will be the closest I’ve ever come to Australia! Too bad I don’t have a layover there…

18. Monica
    May 23, 2012 | 4:13 am

I cheat on my iPad all the time too! The main thing I hate about it is that the 3G doesn’t work in a moving vehicle, so annoying! I still love it though. It isn’t ideal for ‘proper work’ but it’s perfect for all the fun stuff like reading magazines and blog posts, playing games and watching movies on trains.

May 23, 2012 | 8:55 am

Hi, Monica. You, too? I wonder if the iPads have a special support group now. They should because it’s seems there are growing numbers of us…LOL. I think you hit the nail on the head; for a LTR/getting real work done, it’s not quite Mr. Right. The iPad is an awesome friend with benefits… :)

19. Laura
    May 28, 2012 | 5:24 pm

Hey Lisa, So are you still lovin’ your slender sexy little Air? I’ve been wrestling with replacing my sturdy can-do PC and was on the verge of going for an iPad but it sounds like I might as well just lay down the money for the air. I’m switching teams!
    Laura recently posted..Lessons at the moviesMy Profile

May 29, 2012 | 8:23 am

Hi, June/Laura. Yes, I’m lovin’ it! He’s so hot–and he gets a lot done. If you’re looking to replace a PC, then the Pad would not be a good option. The Air could work well for you. The question is–how much storage space do you need? I got the one that has 128 gigs. If this becomes your one and only computer, you might want more. Also, you might want the 13″ if you’ve always had a larger screen. It could get a little pricey, but…

Good luck and enjoy the relationship–if you guys get together! :)

20. Laura
    May 29, 2012 | 5:13 pm

Oh I had already decided I need 13 inches and a big brain. (lol) I’m hoping it’s worth every penny! Thanks!
    Laura recently posted..Gadgets 101My Profile

21. martha
    June 12, 2012 | 12:13 am

Oh, that’s So funny! I think an all-time great post!

June 13, 2012 | 11:13 pm

Thanks, Martha…I’m happy to hear that you enjoyed it. It was one of those posts that really flowed. Was easy to write. I love those!

22. Linda
    June 12, 2012 | 10:29 am

So glad you retweeted this because I meant to read it originally & think I lost all my tabs when my laptop had a hissy fit! Just one reason I want to change to Apple! I was offered a cheap iPad recently & was wondering exactly why I would need one. You’ve just confirmed everything I thought, and that’s a relief because I was uncertain…..now to save up for the MBA!
    Linda recently posted..The Best Sunrise You’ll Never SeeMy Profile

June 13, 2012 | 11:12 pm

Linda: I’m really glad to hear that my post helped you with this decision. The Pad is really great for certain things, but not when you need to be really productive. I’m very happy with the MB Air–except for the absences of certain slots–like the ethernet. I do understand, however, that they were left out to keep the computer small.

PS: I recommend waiting until July or beyond before getting yours. I vaguely recall some rumors saying that they’d be coming out with a new one. I also recommend getting 120 or more gigs of space. The bottom of the line machine has too little space on it for most people (unless they have a larger computer at home and just need the MBA for a few things and not as a primary computer.)