Yogyakarta Parade Participant

Got a minute (OK–1.5 minutes!)? Then, check out this video I made of a parade at the Yogyakarta Arts Festival–aka, Festival Kesenian Yogyakarta–which I recently saw in Indonesia. I created it so that you’d have a quick vicarious sampling of the colorful cultural experience I had.

Note: My favorite part is at 0:30–the jesters!

(Video was made in iMovie on a MacBook Air.)

‘Art for the People’–the Festival’s Theme

The festival’s theme this year, by the way, was “Art for the People.” Its goal was to show the role that art plays in cultural communication, economics, as well as identity. It was chock full of color and numerous local and other cultures were represented.

For me, a tourist, it was great to see something that represented such a diverse assortment of traditions. Here are some photos from the event. Enjoy!

Yogyakarta Arts Festival Parade 2012

Students at Yogyakarta Arts Festival Parade 2012

Marriage Traditions/Yogyakarta Arts Festival Parade 2012

Marriage Traditions/Yogyakarta Arts Festival Parade 2012

Yogyakarta Arts Festival Parade 2012

Sign at Yogyakarta Arts Festival Parade 2012

Sign I couldn’t read/understand…

LGBT Marchers at Yogyakarta Arts Festival Parade 2012

Marching Band Yogyakarta Arts Festival Parade 2012

Marching Students at Yogyakarta Arts Festival Parade 2012

Yogyakarta Arts Festival Parade 2012

Yogyakarta Arts Festival Parade 2012

Yogyakarta Arts Festival Parade 2012

Yogyakarta Arts Festival Parade 2012

Tree Butt Sculpture at Yogyakarta Arts Festival Parade 2012

But…it’s a butt! Yes, this was a ‘tree butt’ sculpture, one of the pieces of art on display.

Your Reactions/Thoughts/Experiences?

Like Parades? Do you enjoy watching parades–either at home or while traveling? If so, what do they mean to you? What do you feel they best represent about a culture?

Been to any good ones lately? Have you been to any interesting parades and/or festivals lately? If so, feel free to link to a post about one in your comment.

What do you think of this one? Any thoughts re: this particular parade? What sort of vibe do you get from the participants? Happy? Proud? Etc?

Are you Indonesian? If so, can you tell us about some of the marchers–especially the ones that are not obvious? It’s easy to figure out who’s a student, but who are some of the other folks? Thanks!

Yogyakarta Arts Festival Parade 2012

12 Responses to Yogyakarta Arts Festival Parade 2012: a Colorful Cultural Experience (photo/video essay)
  1. sirensongs
    September 4, 2012 | 3:40 am

so, are those men dressed as ladies in all the red and gold lacey stuff? right above the green-and-orange Gatorade Warriors? Very fun photos.

September 7, 2012 | 10:02 pm

I think they were transvestites. Glad you like the photos. And funny re: Gatorade Warriors! :)

2. Sara
    September 5, 2012 | 1:50 pm

I really enjoyed this video and the photos. It looks like it was a fantastic cultural event!

3. Suzy
    September 8, 2012 | 11:26 pm

I love all of the colors to this parade. It seems like the sort of event you wouldn’t know where to look! Lots of characters!
    Suzy recently posted..8 Easy Pieces For Fashionable TravelsMy Profile

September 9, 2012 | 8:27 pm

Thanks, Suzy! That’s exactly what it was like! :)

4. Steve Collins
    September 10, 2012 | 10:38 pm

Great images. Very colorful. Such handsome people! Thanks for sharing!

September 12, 2012 | 7:24 pm

Thanks for checking this photo essay out, Steve–glad you liked it! Yes, the people are very handsome there. And with their costumes, they looked even more so! :)

5. Audrey | That Backpacker
    September 25, 2012 | 9:16 pm

Wait, where those men dressed in drag? I had to do a double take there. I really like all the different costumes and the bright colours.
    Audrey | That Backpacker recently posted..Locked Out Of My ApartmentMy Profile

September 26, 2012 | 11:08 am

Hi, Audrey. Yes, they are. Wild no? A very colorful parade–for sure!

6. Agness (@Agnesstramp)
    October 14, 2012 | 4:25 am

Wow, it’s so colourful! Looks like a parade in Brazil! Locals have nice bodies as well I can notice :)
    Agness (@Agnesstramp) recently posted..Travelling For Less Than $25: Floating Market, Damnoen Saduak, ThailandMy Profile

October 14, 2012 | 11:51 am

Very colorful indeed! Definitely some attractive people there. PS: My next post is on handsome men I met. Stay tuned! :)